Wednesday 8 June 2011

European HOG Rally - 6

Next day, Germany decided to throw everything weather and traffic-wise at me - heavy rain, low cloud, fog, cold & blustery winds, road closures, heavy traffic, accident delays, for the most miserable 300 miles of riding I have ever had for my return to the Black Forest, and Freudenstadt.  The closures forced me closer to Stuttgart than I wanted to be, where I got tangled up in what seemed like Germany's entire industrial output moving at a snail's pace on trucks.  It was dreadful and I was glad when it was over.


Descending from Freudenstadt towards Baden-Baden the next morning, the misty weather cleared, the sun came out and the temperature increased nearly 20ยบ, requiring an early stop for the removal of several layers of clothing and glove liners!   I crossed the mighty Rhine into France and again got onto back roads for a more peaceful ride to Chalons-en-Champagne.  From there, I didn't retrace the entire route back to Calais and the Channel Tunnel, taking in some D roads across the Somme and stopping at a couple of British WWI Cemeteries, including this one at Ais en Artois.


No comments: